Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Paid $65 to Learn....

...that Teddy has a virus. Ok, I can live with that. I mean, he's sick, a fever for 4 days, I needed to check. What drives me BATTY is that this dr - a new one to us, assumes that I am a moron.

She goes into GREAT detail about how virus' can affect different people different ways and that it may be the same virus that is making all of us sick. Do I care? No. Tessi and Connor are screaming and carrying on in the corner of the room, fighting over toys. I need to know what's wrong, do I get a script or not, what do I do at home and when do I need to bring him back? THAT'S IT! I don't need a lecture on what virus causes what or how the immune system can be affected or not. Then she starts on the "a fever is the body's way of fighting an infection, so it isn't necessary to kill it right away" I say that I know that, that I am just jumpy because of our family history with febrile seizures, including Teddy's. Now she goes on about after age 5 we don't have to worry about that. Slowly, in between shoving Tessi into the far corner so she can sit by herself and telling Connor not to waive the wombat in her face, I tell her that I had them until 6th grade and my grandmother had them into her 60's and the one that Teddy had was unusually long - about 20 minutes.

Obviously, considering the precarious situation with the girls, the need for us to leave is apparent so....she starts flippin' grilling me about Grandma's seizures, what were they, what did they look like and what about me, how long were mine, am I sure Teddy's was 20 minutes? yadi, yadi, yadi.

At this point I am ready to kill. Tessi, Connor or the doctor. I don't care. I'm going out in a blaze of glory and I'm taking them all with me. Then she goes on about how Teddy doesn't need medicated lozenges for his throat - lollies will do. This of course perks Teddy up tremendously as he now in under doctor orders to eat candy. Then she throws out, "Now I wouldn't do that with these 2" - pointing at the girls, "Obviously they are a little too hyper to sit with lollies" I was too pissed off to even answer her. Maybe if she didn't drag out a 10 minute examination to 20 minutes I wouldn't have run out of time to force a 3 and 4 year old to be quiet.

I'm glad Teddy isn't seriously sick. I'm glad he's going to be fine. I'm glad that his last recorded fever was at 4:40 this morning so if I can keep him fever-free the rest of the day HE'S GOING BACK TO SCHOOL TOMORROW. As for Tessi I told her she behaved terribly at the dr's so when we came home I made her go straight to bed. Really it's the safest place...for both of us...for her to be. No I'm off to do more laundry and drink tea, lots and lots of tea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Time to find a new doctor! What an idiot. Hope you're all better soon.

Judie