Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Stay with your Sister...Unless there is a Handball game on

Today the girls and I picked up Teddy and his two friends Oscar and Alexander from school. No big deal really except today I noticed a little boy by himself crying. His family is new to our school and he's only 4. Anyway, he's lost and can't find Mom so I tell Teddy,"Stay with your sister I'm going to take Gabriel to his mom" No problem. It takes me a while to find her but everything is OK. I have Tessi with me because she's feeling very saran wrap right now. We come down the stairs and I see Teddy, Oscar, and Alexander and a few others playing handball...no Connor....she's flippin' GONE.
I yell at Teddy and he goes to look for her with Oscar in tow. Alexander can't possibly give up the game, he's in Kings - Americans, don't even ask. It's a good position in the game.

We can't find her, I'm calling all over the place, I sent Teddy up to the Top Oval where the big kids play and I'm starting to panic and just scream out her name. Then Teddy's teacher yells that she sees Connor. Here Connor, unwatched by her brother, found a class that was having a party so obviously, she crashed it. She was in the room happily stuffing her face with all the lollies she can before someone stops her.

When I calm down and can speak without stuttering (yeah, it took a few minutes and I should mention Teddy had gone back to playing the game) I explained to Teddy that when I said he should stay with his sister, I meant HE SHOULD STAY WITH HIS SISTER EVEN IF THERE IS A HANDBALL GAME PLAYING. I swear he looked at me with that, "I'll humor her, this idiot actually thinks this is going work" look on his face.

I did not kill him right there. I want that noted for future reference. When someone comments on my lack of parenting skill I'm going to hold this moment up as my qualification for the Mother of the Year Award. If he manages to go to bed tonight breathing I will henceforth be know as Mary Damn Poppins. I'll let you know in the morning how it goes.

No comments: