Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Morally "Flexible"

Talking about the great Sydney snowfall and having some Texan friends remind me of the heat got me to thinking last night...dangerous I know.

Today is July 30th. If we were back home we would be about 1/3 through the fun Texas summer. Now usually as August starts, I become angry, really, really angry. It's too hot, all the time and I have had it. It doesn't cool of at night so it's either damn hot or hot every stinkin' moment I'm awake. Not good for the moods. This would go on until the first cold snap. In North Texas that could be the end of October, in San Antonio, well towards the end of November.

Also by this time I'm checkin' weather reports daily for rain. As shocking as this may be to my Aussie friends, it just doesn't rain in Texas. Seriously, I didn't own raincoats (save the really cool one Teddy had with fake bugs on the pockets that my MIL bought), gumboots (rainboots), or umbrellas. So I would scour the news for any hopes that it might, just might rain.

This brings me to my morally flexible moment. Hurricane Dolly that just hit? I used to LIVE for hurricane reports. Not that I could ever enjoy someone getting hurt or dying but I would lovingly track the hurricane as it drifted west across the Gulf. Why? After all everywhere I ever lived in Texas was too far inland to get hit by the storm. Well, the really, really big ones would send rain storms for hundreds of miles. I used to sit and say,"We could rebuild Galveston, if it hits there we might get rain for 2 days!"

But I don't have to do that anymore. Trust me, there's no praying for rain coming from me. Maybe now the Texas coast can be saved from my wrath over the heat. Stay cool everyone back home, only 3-4 months to go.

No comments: