Monday, July 28, 2008

Oh Stewardess! I Speak Jive.

Ted just called on his way to the train after the conference with Teddy's teacher. Apparently he's doing very well. In fact last year when we arrived because Teddy skipped the end of Kindergarden and the 1st half of Year 1 he was put in special reading classes to help him catch up. Now, he's not only out of those classes, he's one of the better readers in his class! Well done Teddy!!!

The funny part is that Teddy is now apparently bi-lingual. No, I don't mean the occasional words in Spanish I throw out to him, he speaks American. His teacher had to ask him what Americans call nappies because she couldn't remember so Teddy translated it to diapers. I guess there are a couple of words Teddy had to translate for her. Also, he's having a little difficulty learning measurements. Since we don't speak Metric at home that's messing him up a bit. I know it's a little difficult in the beginning when learning 2 languages but when he gets older it'll be handy being able to speak multiple languages. Maybe he can get a job as a translator!

7 comments:

Ted Tencza said...

Well, to be fair, she did know diapers/nappy. It was the other word (which she can't remember) that neither she nor the other year two teacher could translate.

Unknown said...

In my defense, that's what Teddy told me. Said he thought it was funny that the word nap would be used for diapers.

Owens Family said...

Tell Teddy I'm 34 years old and I still get confused with the metric system! Horray for Teddy's great reading progress!

Anonymous said...

I think having your kids learn the metric system will only better you and them. Wasn't there a push to teach metric to kids in like, 1979? Way to go Teddy and so proud of the reading catch-up. Hope he is feeling better!

Unknown said...

I had lessons in the metric system from about 6th grade through 8th grade. The last official instruction I can remember is from my 8th grade science teacher. After that...not so much. I have no problems using the metric system...it's converting it to English that flippin' kills me.
We'll all proud of Teddy, I just wish he'd use his new found reading skills for something other than Captain Underpants.

Linnia said...

How did I not know you have a blog?

Poor Teddy having to learn those funny-I-mean-imperial measurements as well as the right way.

Anonymous said...

When they're reading, it doesn't really matter that it's Captain Underpants or the cereal box. He can then move on to the Tashi series; Andy Griffiths (The Day My Bum Went Psycho is one of his); Paul Jennings etc. Lots of good boy books.

Judie (who can translate)