Monday, October 20, 2008

Survived Yoga Weekend

Made it through the beginners course of yoga this weekend. I really did enjoy it. Wouldn't say I was particularly good at it, but I did enjoy it. I do like the idea of the stretches and the breathing and learning to keep things in focus. I have a nasty habit of being blinded by my surroundings so I tend to not pay a lot of attention to what is staring me in the face. Not fun if I'm about to walk into a pole...which I do...a lot.

The instructor kind of lost me a bit when she went off on a wild tangent about "professionals" as she called them...ie...doctors. Her philosophy is that through yoga, she is aware of her body completely and she is able to heal herself and does not need doctors. She had "proof" of doctors and physios failing her, meaning her stories of them telling her they couldn't help her, and then her telling us that she concentrated on the afflicted muscles and cured herself. It's all mind over matter according to her.

My problem with that isn't the belief in the power of the mind; I firmly believe that. I just found it humorous that she went on and on about achieving balance in life and couldn't see that there can be a balance between self-awareness and modern medicine. Maybe she saw doctors and physios that weren't the best or maybe she wasn't able to describe the pain in a proper way, I don't know. What I do know is that I believe in modern medicine as well the power of the mind. You know...balance.

Anyway, I thought she was a good instructor and my friends and I enjoyed going. So I do plan on going back. Even if she was lousy, no one shouted, "Mommy, mommy, mommy!" and starting fighting over who gets to clean up first (yeah, they did that once) so to my mind it was a good thing.

No comments: