Saturday, June 28, 2008

You Say Tomato - I say an Entirely Different Fruit Altogether

I wanted to complie a list of Aussie phrases I hear a lot. These are ones I come accross in daily conversations. I was informed upon arrival here that there was only one person in Australia who said, "Crikey!" and he was now dead. But there are a few doozies here that have kept me on my toes. Another thing they do here is add an "O" to just about anything. Bob becomes Bobbo, let's grab a drink at the BottleO (bottle shop), pretty much any noun can have an "O" added to it. The name Anthony is shortened to Ant, not Tony and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE tries to call Ted - Teddy and Teddy - Ted. Like my life isn't messed up enough.

Here are a few names or terms that the Aussies say one way and Americans say completely different.

Aussie Term American Term
Macca’s Mc Donald’s (although the slang is Mickey D's or Golden Arches)
Have a cuppa Come have a cup of coffee/tea
And Bob’s Your Uncle and there you go
Struth “Isn’t that the truth”
Yobbo redneck/hick
Chook Chicken
Arvo afternoon
Sarvo Saturday Afternoon
Tip - as in Let’s play Tip Tag
Tipping Betting (betting on a game)
Biscuit Cookie
Chuck a wobbly Have a temper tantrum
Chuffed Happy
Doona Down Comforter
Entrée Appetizer
Main Entrée
Jaffle Toasted sandwich – think hot pocket
Jumper jacket, sweatshirt, sweater – NOT a little girls dress
Jelly Jello
Jam Jelly
Lemonade Sprite
Tyre tire
Torch Flashlight
Ta Thank you
She’ll Be Right Everything will be alright
You right? Are you alright?

3 comments:

Owens Family said...

Ok, so what do they call real lemonade?

Unknown said...

I haven't seen it anywhere but if I had to guess...lemonade. Yeah, they do that here. One name for a bunch of things. "Footy" means, Aussie Rules Football, unless it means rugby, unless it means soccer. You have to make sure you pay attention to the entire conversation to figure out what they are talking about. Like in the South with wanting to know what kind of Coke you want.

Ted Tencza said...

Others -
Salvo - Salvation Army
mod cons - modern conveniences
meant to - suppose to