Wednesday, June 18, 2008

And the Drought Starts Again

My whole family calls rain drought here. The joke is that since there are so many words they use differently here, Australians must mean rain when they talk about the drought. We just had about 8-9 days in a row when it rained somewhat. Yesterday was the only day it didn't rain. Today it's supposed to start up again. I have laundry up out on the line that got caught a few days ago when I THOUGHT I was between rain showers. I've just left it. I know, I know, I should go get it but all I can think is what's the point? Everything is soaked, it's not like I can rescue any of it. Yesterday it didn't rain but the sun wasn't strong enough to dry it. So there it all sits, a monument to my family being caught by the drought...er um...rain.

Seriously, we've been here 14 months now. WHEN DOESN'T IT RAIN HERE? I understand that areas west and north of here have really suffered, some parts have gone years without a drop. Those people, well my heart goes out to them and we should all be scrambling to find ways to get water to them. But Sydney? Nope, sorry. Everything is green and I mean GREEN. Except for the mud, that's a very rich shade of brown. I know that because I see it everywhere in my house because I was lucky enough to get a house mostly covered in white tiles.

I think the next person who says it's good that it's raining I'm going to hit them with my umbrella. I'll just say, "Sorry Mate, I'm the Crazy Yank" I bet I get away with it...but to be safe I think I'll go hide behind my wet laundry.

No comments: