Saturday, June 28, 2008

For Better, for Worse, for Stealing Covers

One of things I really love and I mean LOVE about Australia is that it gets cold. Yep, I am that freak of nature that loves the cold and hates the warmth. Coming from the Texas weather seasons of "Hot" and "Damn Hot" it's nice for me to really be able to enjoy the cold. That being said, WOW! It really gets cold at night. The temperature plummets. Me, the one sheet wonder, sleeps under a sheet, blanket and heavy quilt while wearing a heavy sweatshirt over pj's. That is COLD. Ted has a personal space heater next to his side of the bed so it's easier to chip the icicles off of his feet when he gets up in the morning. Unfortunately Ted is NOT handling the cold well. This is a man who pines lovingly for Florida. I hope for his sake his second wife is more accommodating about living there.

Anyway, yesterday morning I awoke even earlier than usual, it was around 4am. I was freezing so I swished my feet around trying to warm the sheets when I hit this warm block and dreamily went thought, "Oh, Ginger is under the sheets again, I'll let her warm my feet up"

pause...pause...pause...

Then it hits me....Ginger is a dog that I had as a kid. Seriously, I haven't seen her since the 7th grade. The damn dog has been dead for more than 20 years. What the Hell?! I sit straight up and low and behold, I have moved all the way accross the King sized bed, in search of any source of heat I can find. In this case, my husband's feet. Why have I done this you ask? Because my rotton, cover stealing husband has pulled off ALL THE DAMN covers and moved them over to his side. Then, and this part confuses me, he wedges them underneath his back so he isn't even being covered by them and he wakes up cold himself.

I gently and lovingly rip the covers from underneath of him, TRYING my best to flip him off the bed. I admit it....I wanted to see him fly. I'm a little vicious when I first wake up. No luck though, I didn't even wake him. Not even when I swore at him. The man can sleep, that's for sure.

So now it's 4:15 am, I've rescued the covers and returned them to their rightful side of the bed. Ted, because he's moved around a bit is of course, snoring. So I lay there, organizing my thoughts on where best to hide the body in the yard and I wonder to myself, "What the Hell made me think about the dog?" Now I'm off to peruse animal rescue sites..maybe Karma wants me to look at a dog....hold on, I think Ted just got a shooting pain in his head. THAT will teach him to steal the covers.

1 comment:

Owens Family said...

Ya know, if you get a smaller bed, like a queen or even a double, Ted won't be able to go very far with your covers! ha