Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Are You shugaka?

This is a little too hilarious not to post. Well, it is to me at least. Connor has picked up a new phrase the past few days. She will turn to you and say, " Are you shugaka?" At first Ted and I just looked at her with our normal what the hell is she talking about looks and then it dawned on us. "Are you meshuggina?" A phrase I have been throwing around for YEARS. It comes from my formative years in New Jersey. So my shayner Texan shiksa, who lives in Australia is throwing around Yiddish. A Bi Gezunt!

For the 2 or 3 of you on the planet who've never heard me say these words or have no idea what they mean.."Are you meshuggina?" means "Are you crazy?" Any of you who have met any of my family understands why my children might be copying me saying that. Hey, trust me, it could be worse. One of Connor's first multiple word sentences was, "God damnit Tess!" Obviously, she heard that from the neighbor kid. Damn kids...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah, like we believe it was the neighbour kids! More likely it was ...

(from Judie)

Unknown said...

Well, considering at the time the offense occured, the neighbor kid in question was about 18 month old....well, I still blame him! It's much easier than me trying to stop swearing.