Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Connor's First Transition to Kindy Day












At Normanhurst Public School (NPS) they have 3 events called Transition to Kindy for all the upcoming Kindergarden students. Connor dressed in her school uniform - which I was told to do by other moms, but apparently I'm the only one who got the memo. Grrrrr. No matter, Connor LOVES her uniform and begs to wear it...constantly.

We went to the open house and Connor colored pictures and sang songs. She had a wonderful time. It was a little overwhelming with noise and kids she didn't know. She ended up sitting by herself for a while just to escape the noise - but it wasn't anything that was noticeable to anyone else. The co-ordinator from Lifestart Early Intervention was there to observe and she felt very positive about the school and how they will be able to help her.

Tessi joined in the fray too, there was no chance of holding her back. She did get very mad though when I made her put the scissors down. Tessi with a weapon...yea right....whatever...

Let me make one comment though, this really struck me yesterday. I felt a little sad and more than a little jealous yesterday when I looked around the room and saw that most other parents in the room got to see their child coloring and doing craft. I didn't. I watched and saw my child working to manage her temperament, manipulate her fingers and work to control her dexterity. Connor was able to to respond to some of my verbal cues to help keep her focused on work and she tolerated a peer using a light touch on her hair. I wanted so much just to see her coloring and nothing else.

But before I get accused of not being happy about her accomplishments, let me say that I am. She did beautifully yesterday, she really did. Up until I made her change out of her uniform at home and then she blew apart. Thank God I was able to appease her with red butterfly hair bows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Connor looks so grown up in her uniform! Did she enjoy the day? Oh, and Tess with scissors? Ruuuuuunnnnn. Judie

Unknown said...

Connor did like it. She commented the rest of the day about it and was PISSED when I made her take her uniform off and wear a regular dress. She really likes the Kindy teacher too. I think she'll do ok...I hope!