Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sydney Royal Easter Show

Well we've gone to another Sydney icon. The Royal Easter Show. Here's the website - http://www.eastershow.com.au/

A very large festival held at the former Sydney Olympics site. It's very similar to state fairs or rodeos or functions like that back in the States. There are the same cheesy and glitzy rides and chance games you find on every beach boardwalk on the eastern coast of the US. Hell, I think I recognize some of the hawkers from back in Seaside Heights in NJ where I used to go. The prizes only a rare few win, the rides guaranteed to make you vomit or your money back and the animal petting section. The works. The only major difference is the price. We were fortunate because my good friend Pip had some extra free passes for us to get in. We only had to pay for Connor. See if we had to pay for all of us it would have $107...just to enter the gate, then each ride cost $5 or $6 - each time. Don't even mention the food. A slice of pizza was $7.50. A bottle of Diet Coke was $4. Then the show bags. That's the real money maker. Vendors fill a hall with bags for every type of child fantasy - Barbie, Dora, The Faeries, Hannah Montana, Star Wars, Ben 10 and candy...oooh the sacred candy. These gems run anywhere from $5 for candy to $25 for the licensed stuff. Now yes, there is some good stuff in it but MAN...that's a lot of money.

We got in free and we STILL spent a fortune. How do people do this? How can you fork over $100 to get just for the privilege of paying $150 more? I'm simply at a loss. My children had fun that's true but $250 worth of fun? I don't see it. Honestly I can't say which Teddy thought was more entertaining, buying the SWAT show bag with genuine plastic shotgun and lollies or watching the dog judging and hearing grown ups use the word "bitch" over a microphone. Seriously, Teddy and his friend Seth had a BLAST giggling and shoving each other every time the announcer called for the "sire" and "bitch" competition. Hell, we could do that at home and save the money.

I hear so much about the economy and how the world is going to hell because of all the selfish excess. Maybe it is...but when you see what options are presented to us is it any wonder?

However I must the Easter Show was nice. I did like the set up and the kids did have fun. If I'm honest I'll admit that I'll probably nag Pip again next year for free tickets because the kids will be clammering. However, I just can't see us paying for the whole dog and pony show ourselves. Just rich for my blood.

No comments: