Wednesday, February 4, 2009

New Parenting Phase

It is the next evolutionary step in childhood development. The "I hate my sibling" phase. Teddy and Connor have sailed blissfully through the toddler and young child realm and into how can I destroy you and step over your sill pulsing corpse. It's really entertaining sometimes. Other times I have to keep myself from killing them outright. These two haven't had a civil word to say to each other in days. Not one. Teddy crossed the line this morning and delibertly pointed out some dead cockroaches that Connor had missed seeing. As she is absolutely terrified of them and then became unglued I finally have stepped in.

In another one of my hallmark parenting moments I informed both of them that if they want to hate each other to just go ahead. Have a blast. Call each other any name they want, hate each other, wish each other ill. Have lots of fun with it. However, be careful. Because as soon as it becomes MY PROBLEM then THEY will have problems. Learn how to fake kindness to each other in front of me. If I need to step in then I will need to make their lives difficult. Not sure if Connor grasped what I was saying but Teddy did. He got it. I could see it in his eyes. I used the magic phrase, "The DS will become mine" and that is certainly in his lingo.

I had hoped for a little more time before this fun stage manifested but no matter. It's here now and let the games begin!

No comments: