Monday, July 13, 2009

What is Etiquette Regarding Your Dog Killing Animals?

Just curious. Not like I need to know or anything. Nope, not me. But however, if I did need to know what to do if, oh I don't know, my dog kills a friend's guinea pig. I mean, what does Emily Post say about a friend being willing to watch your dog at her place and within 5 minutes of being there said dog charges out the back yard, rips open the guinea pig hutch, drags a poor rodent out and shakes it to death...all in front of the sobbing little girl who owns the animal? Is there a card for that? Is there anything socially acceptable to do other than drowning myself in a bucket of water on her front porch?

Nahhh, I didn't think so either. Yep, Sasha pulled a good one on Saturday. Killed my friend's daughter's pet. Nice one. Pip doesn't want me replace the guinea pig either. Trying desperately to replace the hutch (there are 2 other guinea pigs left...apparently Sasha is slow) but she's fighting me on that one too. She really doesn't want me to be upset about this. Not sure how not to be. I mean come, what kind of whack job dog does this? Oh yeah, MY dog, that's right. Googled "dog kills guinea pig" and found a LOT of hits so apparently this is not uncommon. Still feel awful though. Reminds me of watching my dog get hit and killed by a car when I was 6...ah yes, good times. Apparently Pip's daughter is alright. Cried for a bit and is beyond it. Much healthier mentally this kid is than I am.

Am trying to decide if we should change Sasha's name to Killer, Bundy or Cujo. Cujo has a nice ring to it.

Oh God, I'm really not good at this macabre humor. Everyone else around me is making jokes and I just feel so damn guilty. Sigh...next pet is going to be an imaginary one. I swear it.

No comments: