Friday, January 27, 2012

Back to Reality

Friday Night brings us back to normal.  Only normal a little better, I hope.  Ted and went on our holiday and were actually able to leave Sydney.  It was good to see more of Australia- even the tiny bit it was.  We have yet to see any terrain of Australia that doesn't at least in some way, remind me of parts of the US.  The flowers, bugs, spiders snakes and trees, sure those are really different.  However the small hills and rolling pastures are combinations of Texas and Central Pennsylvania to me.  Since I am an non-beach person all beaches look alike to me.  I'm still picking sand out of bits I'd rather not think about, doesn't matter if I'm in Australia or New Jersey.  Heresy I know.  You beach people...well we're different, let's just say that.  I think Ted and I will have to build our dream house down south of Sydney some day.  Around the Kiama or abouts.  There we can build a house with 2 solid walls of windows.  One overlooking the beach and water and directly on the other side windows facing hills and trees.  I think we'll put the tv in the middle so we can see each other sometimes.

Today is one of those days it feels good to have some of the normal normal going.  Most days I'm utterly bogged down in the details and just getting through the next 15 minutes.  Today the girls came home after their sleepover adventure and now Ted is cooking them dinner.  If nothing else, this short jaunt away has helped me feel better about my day-day grind.  Or I should say, it helps me see some of the better parts.

When you are a SAHM mother it's different than a paying job.  You personalize everything and therefore what isn't done or done right isn't something that slips to tomorrow's do list.  It is because you are A BAD MOTHER/WIFE.  Too many of those days and you really start to hate what you do.  Getting a break- even just for 2 nights let me ignore my work for a bit.  Everyone needs to do that.  Here in Australia the workin' folks "chuck a sickie".  Back in US, it's Mental Health day or just call in.  It's hard for moms to do that.  I think though I can work on planning more short holidays.  Maybe set up some babysitting trades and see where the kids can go off to just so Ted and I can get out.  Then maybe when I get my resolve back up I can start planning on bigger family trips.  Someplace outside the state and someplace where we've all never been.

My son Teddy has been to New Zealand and I haven't.  That hardly seems fair.  I think we'll need to make some changes to that and get Mommy back up in the ranks.

No comments: