Friday, May 21, 2010

More False Advertising

Moving boxes are expensive here.  I mean EXPENSIVE.  The small book size ones are anywhere from $4-$5.  There's an online place that will do them cheaper but they want a 100% deposit and you get that back when you return the boxes.  What the Hell?  Don't know about you but it takes me a LONG DAMN time to unpack everything.  In fact, a very long damn time.  I say with pride and with shame that there is a box in my bedroom right now that was packed in San Antonio, 2 moves ago.  No way I'd betting a deposit back.

So, I'm looking for cheap boxes.  I see an ad in yesterday's Bunning's catalog.  That's the local Home Depot.  Lo and Behold!!!  Boxes, many sizes and a fancy, wizz bang tape dispenser.  And the boxes are almost cheap!  Hot damn!  After school drop off I race out to my local, grab a trolley and march in.  I decide to not be a guy and cheat and ask where the boxes are from the first employee I see.

And that's where my good luck end abruptly.

The employee gives me the blink hard, and look here little missy look that you can only get from a home improvement store employee.  "We don't have 'em"  He decides to censer himself and responds.  I roll my eyes and point out the flyer.  Plain as day, there they are!  He grunts, nods that he can read too but then in his best, you damn fool voice, "A large Bunnings would have them, not us"

Ahhh, yes, this is not a LARGE Bunnings.  I forget that in Australia, home improvements stores the size of the ones back home are LARGE ones and few and far in between.

My thoughts vacilate between, "Jesus, I'm a dumb ass, I've lived here 3 years and I don't know that?" and "Jesus, you people are dumb asses, why don't you print that those are only available at certain stores?"

Now I have to plan a trek out to the LARGE store.  No problem, I have nothing else to do.  Except pack.  Except pack and find a new house.  Except pack, find a new house, get laundry done.  Except pack, find a new house, get laundry done and get the kids to school.  Excecpt pack, find a new house, get the laundry done, get the kids to school and get Connor to her special class after school in Chatswood.  Except...oh to Hell with it.  There's way too much to do.

I quit.  I may spend the day unpacking the wine.

No comments: