Friday, August 1, 2008

Connor's Going to Kindergarden!

Ted and I decided yesterday, after my meeting with the psychologist, to send Connor to Kindy this January. This is a big shock to the system as she will only be 4 1/2 then but the psychologist and her preschool teacher think another year of preschool would not only not be helpful, it could be detrimental. She's made incredible progress the last few months, simply incredible.

This does NOT mean that Connor is cured or that we're even out of the woods with her. Connor will always be Autistic, she will always have to struggle in situations that other's don't. Kindergarden will not be easy for her, not by a long shot. But at Normanhurst Public we'll have a pretty good set up for her.

The school is small, very small. Every teacher there will know Connor. Several of them know her now.
The principal and one of the Kindy teachers are planning to go visit Connor at her preschool to evaluate her.
Normo has it's own prep for school program for kids who need a little extra help.
The neighbor girl loves Connor and is your typical 6 year old girl, she'll squeal like a stuck pig if she sees anyone being mean to Connor on the playground.
Connor's best friend from preschool is going to Normo and may possibly be in the same class- there are 2 sections.

Right now, more than any other day I am grateful we are no longer in Justin, TX. Connor would not have survived at all at Hatfield Elementary, Teddy's old school. 6 Kindergarden sections, over 800 students, riding the bus....no way, Connor could not have handled that. But here...starting today we'll start going into the Kindy building and looking at things and ease her in slowly.

Wish us luck. I'm still sick to my stomach over our decision. I imagine that I'll be throwing up in the weeks to come before school starts!

4 comments:

Linnia said...

Oh, good luck with that. I asked Jan and Heather if I could send Kaitlyn last year (her birthday is 30 July) and they said that they would probably tell me no if I put in her enrolment form. They told me that Drew (11 March) was borderline when I enrolled him 6 years ago. So just be aware that although Jan might be saying she's evaluating, she might also have a very closed mind and just be pretending. On the other hand if she takes Judy with her then at least it would probably be a proper evaluation.

Unknown said...

Ugh...yeah that would be my luck. When is the cut off? July 1st? I'm not sure. Connor's birthday is May 9th...or do I say 9th May? :)
Jan is looking for numbers though...she may accept her for that reason.

Linnia said...

Cut off is officially July 31st, unofficially April 1st. Jan is always looking for numbers, that's why I'm pretty sure that she accept my kids in 2010 even though I won't know where we're living until after school starts most likely. Being a May birthday means that Connor would almost definitely be the youngest but she's got an older brother so it's not as bad as it could be.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Cecelia. I think Connor will do great with the structure and will definitely shine, especially since she will feel so "big" being in the same school with Teddy. As far as being the youngest, both my older boys will be. Jonah's birthday is in August and we aren't planning to hold him back (didn't Noah either). They will most likely only complain that they can't drive when their friends do, but that may be a good thing after all. Congrats Connor. Way to go big girl!! (I am also excited for you and the free time you'll have. You deserve it more than anyone I know)