Wednesday, May 28, 2008

For Those About to Die We Salute You


Education Week Concert. Whoooo boy. I stroll up to school with my girls. It's a very, very good thing sometimes living on the same street as the school. We got to have lunch with Teddy before the concert and his best friend was upset because his parents weren't there and he didn't want to eat alone. Of couse I suggested that he sit with us. This led to 4 or 5 other 7/8 year olds sitting with us. You could see the vortex swirling above their heads sucking the brain cells out of their skulls. Glad also that I didn't pack a lunch for myself because after 2 minutes with the boys I couldn't stand the thought of food. Hmmmm, maybe I should start eating lunch up with the boys more often.

After getting Teddy into his costume the girls and I trudged up to the great hall and looked for our seats. The principal took care of all seating arangements and when I first looked at our tickets I saw that our row was the first one as we walked into the hall. Then I saw that the numbers were 1, 2 and 3 and I thought, 'Oh Cool going Jan! You know I need a quick escape with the girls and helped me out!" But then I saw that the row BEGAN against the wall so I had to drag the 3 of us over 8 or 10 laps and then we were trapped against the wall like rats. Thanks Jan.
A 2 hour concert of 200 kids I don't know at all, about 50 kids I know somewhat, 20 I know very well and one I love to pieces. So we sat for it. Connor and Tessi were as good as could be hoped for. They just don't handle these sort of events well. I had a ton of food as bribes and that got us through the worst of if but in the end it was 2 hours and they were confined. 'Nuff said. But I must say, it was a cute show. I love the look of accomplishment on these kids faces, Hell, I even love the cool arrogance of the Year 6's. Could have done without the principal lecture on not hovering over our kids too much. Not sure where that came from or why we all had to hear about problems she's having a with a few parents.
But I did think the show was fun. Connor and Tessi loved "Under the Sea" as all good princess worshippers do. My favorite obviously was "I've Got No Strings" by 1/2V, Teddy's class. My friend took this close up picture of Teddy off to the side. He's mad about how his face looks in paint, but I love it. I am so grateful to Mrs. Veldon for finding a way to keep him in the dance performance. She is a lovely woman and a very good teacher. I hope she lets me keep the sign.

3 comments:

Ted Tencza said...

Ave caesar! Morituri te salutamus!

Ted Tencza said...

All the posts have different fonts. I like the Back to Normal post's font the best. It is the easiest to read.

Owens Family said...

Look at him- what a great idea! I'm surprised you saw any of the show with Connor and Tessi-I think my little ones would have made it 10 minutes max.