Monday, June 17, 2013

Hiding Behind a Glass Door

Well yesterday's post was fun.  I think I was smacked on the head by the Maudlin Fairy.

The bad guys won yesterday and I went to bed a dejected mess.  In my world that happens.  You can't be a crazy person,  living a crazy life with crazy people in a crazy world and not lose it sometimes.  Amazing....the words crazy written 4 times in a single sentence.  Clearly I am a writing goddess.

I went to bed last night consumed with feelings of failure and loss.  I woke up two hours later with a reminder that life goes on whether we want it to or not.

Ted and I both were awoken by a strange rumbling and whacking sound coming from downstairs.  We live in an insanely safe area so I honestly wasn't worried about an intruder, well a bipedal one anyway.  I figured some possum or steroid-infused mouse was running a muck somewhere so I opened the door to check it out. It's Australia after all.  God only knows what is lurking out there.

Immediately I noticed that Sasha was not laying down right outside our door, which is her spot at night.  That is not good.  Where is the dog?  I head down the steps and low and behold there she is waiting at the bottom of the steps her tail wagging so hard her entire body is bending in half.

Now the mystery is partially solved.  I know who is causing the noise.  Whatever the noise was, it was her and she's now trying to delay me from seeing what's she's done.  It's time to solve the case by finding out what has happened. Storming past her and yelling her name I head to the kitchen and there it is, the trash can is on it's side and the contents are everywhere.

The reason I am telling you this incredibly boring story is that I had to laugh at how Sasha handled stress of us catching her in trouble.  After cleaning up the mess Ted and I noticed she was gone and tried to find her.  She had run outside to hide from us but was standing next to the sliding door.  The clear glass sliding door.  She refused to look at us when we call her name, just stood and wagged her tail and hid behind a glass door right in front of us.

Ted and I just turned off the lights and went back to bed.  A few minutes later we heard the padding of her feet up the stairs and the loud THUMP of her landing in her bed outside the door.  This morning when I got up she was whistling and wagging her tail, genuinely happy to see me.  All was forgotten.

Maybe that's what I need to do.  When things get too much just run and hide for a few minutes. Stay in plain sight so no one worries but refuse to make eye contact and wait for it to pass.  When the furry has passed by go up and be happy to see the person.

Might even wag my tail a few times.

No comments: