Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Yin versus Yang

Both of my girls are home sick today. Death colds caught up to them and I had to take them to the doctors office yesterday. Of course, I made them go to school first 'cause I had Gold Class tickets to see the new Star Trek movie.

Yes, yes, I know...that permently removes my name from the Loving Awesome Mommy competition. But did you notice What I said?  GOLD CLASS tickets. The barker lounges recline electronically, Under 18's are not welcome and there is a full bar. Come on.

In my defense Tessi played a basketball game the night before and didn't act sick at all. She was in fine team goon form.  No personal fouls this time; she's getting much better at not getting caught.  Her record is 6 in a single game. Yes, those of you who follow the game,  you read that correctly. Six.  For those of you who are not basketball savvy, the maximum is 5 fouls before ejection of the offending player. What can I say, that is one impressive chick.   

She's mentioned a few head aches over the past few days and has actually willingly laid down quietly for a few minutes a couple of times but nothing outrageous.  In retrospect, I should have taken the resting thing as a sign of near terminal illness. I know better, I do. But Gold Class has a way of clouding your judgement sometimes. I'm not proud of myself, just admitting the truth.

Connor too, has been slightly under the weather and has been coughing a fair bit. So much so that we named the cough Rascal.  Then again, half the school is hacking up a lung.  Connor hasn't acted overtly sick though.  She has been picking fights with her brother, racing around avoiding chores and on Saturday had one of the loudest parties known to mankind.  Yes I am in fact, including some of the kegger parties I went to in college. I haven't blogged about it yet because my ears still bleed at the memory. Hold on, I need to stuff some more tissues in my ears.

No, these are not your normal average deathly ill, "Need immediate medical care symptoms" children.  No one had a fever yesterday morning so off to school they went and off to the movies I went. Needless to say, I had a fabulous time.  You know this for sure because of how quickly my afternoon went straight to Hell. 

I don't have a lot of life wisdom yet, I don't think you can start claiming infinate knowledge like that until you are shoving 60 pretty hard but I do know this fact:

Mother Nature, God, Yahweh, Allah, the Easter Bunny, Larry Bird or Magic Johnson;  whomever you follow, craves balance. Good and bad. Have too much awful in your life and something good, even something small, will happen. Have a lot of fantasic going on and brace yourself.  You're about to take a bat to the back of the knees. Metaphorically of course.  At least I hope so.  Mental side note...pack away all cricket bats for a few months.

My point is that you can't appreciate one without the other. Too much of one thing is never good..it begins to lose its significance. The two sides need each other. Yin and Yang describes it best I think.

Yin was me enjoying a glass of champers, yummy gourmet nibbles with a great friend while watching a fun movie in insanely comfortable seats.  We giggled and marveled at how well the other half lives and daydreamed about making this a regular event. Since both of us are mere mortals with actual bills to pay, this is a pipe dream, but was a lovely one.

Yang was picking up Tessi at school an hour later only to hear a nasty death rattle cough that almost brought her lungs up and out. Not good.

Yin was me sending Teddy YouTube video trailer clips of the movie because he was sick with jealously that I was going.  I had the time of my life tweaking him about it.  You should have seen his face when he looked at his phone and saw the "Need some ice for that burn?" meme.  I thought his head was going to split open.  It doesn't make up for the snotty pre-teen angst and eye-rolling but it's as close as I can get while limiting myself to only doing things that are legal.

Yang was having the doctor tell me that Connor has bad cold and needs a day of bedrest and Tessi has a respiratory infection & fever and is home for the week.

Yin is my rule about kids staying in the bed when you are home sick from school and not being up and underfoot.

Yang is both my girls not feeling sick at all and not giving a toss about my rules and taking turns every five minutes coming down to ask for something. "No, I'm not carrying the TV into your room." 

Really?  In what universe what that a realistic request? Not this one Sweatheart. I don't feel THAT guilty about sending you to school yesterday.

Yin is me finally having the time at home I need to get caught up on the laundry and the dishes in the sink. I can actually get stuff done and for once be on top of things.

Yang is that it's little chilly today and I'm warm on the couch underneath the blanket with my fully charged iPad.  Monty cat is curled up on the back of the couch warming my neck.  Sasha is lying quietly at my feet so if I move I will surely set off a loud barking frenzy.

Actually, maybe that's Yin too.  Sometimes the lines defining good and bad are a bit blurry.  Except the part about teasing Teddy. That was just bloody awesome. I'm taking that memory to my grave.

No comments: