Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Name is Cecelia and I Drink Wine

 I love wine. All different kinds. White, red, champagne, sparking wine, all of it.  Open a bottle anywhere within 100 feet of me and my ears perk up and I'm heading your way with a glass.

Except Merlot.  But not because its not at its best in the Napa Valley, as we learned from the movie Sideways. It just doesn't work for me. I don't judge though, like religion and politics, everyone is free to enjoy the wine of their choice. Except Manischewitz wine.  THAT I judge.  Ugh..... The Australian equivalent is Passion Pop.  Vile, simply vile. 

But everything else, yep, I'm good. The only thing I hate about wine though is the pretentious, snobby attitude that goes with it.  We have all seen THOSE people who sniff each glass and announce loudly that one simply could not drink that wine while wearing white shoes after Labor Day or something.  I knew someone once who always very loudly stated that it was impossible to find any good red wine under $30. It helps to pinch up your nose and clench your jaw as you read that last sentence to get an idea what a pontificating twit that guy was.   I used to entertain myself with searching the liquor store for bottles from the region he liked but under $10. I'd hand it to him and he would verbally vomit some nonsense about price and quality going hand-in-hand.  Obviously, we were not close friends but I do miss jacking with him.  Sigh....

It drives me batty that people take such a marvelous thing like a delicious beverage and make it a status symbol.  

NEWS FLASH: if your image is projected only by the right things to eat drink or wear then look around...you my friend are the jerk of the room.  Yes, the rest of us are all talking about and laughing at you. 

But back to my favorite part of this story....wine.  I began to get interested in wine back when I lived in Texas.  I had books that talked about different vintners and learned about grapes. I learned how their smooshed up goodness was turned into lovely beverages.  I was really enjoying reading about the different types of wine and starting to feel a little confidant in my education of all things vino.

Then I moved to Australia.  I should tell you that if you even remotely enjoy wine you should drop what you are doing and head straight to the Qantas terminal and fly over here.  I should let you know that some of the greatest wines in the world being produced right here. Now is the time I should start listing all the incredible wines and how inexpensive most of them are and how thrilled everyone would be if they just had one sip.  

  I should tell you all that but then you people might start coming over and taking my wine.  No! Go back! Napa Valley is perfectly fine for you.  Willamette Valley is lovely and perfect over there.

Besides Australia has sharks, you've seen the pictures.  Oh absolutely!  On land, on the highways and in the wineries.  Sure.  Very dangerous.  You wouldn't like it here.

Alright fine.  The sharks aren't actually in the wineries.  I will be honest and admit that  I have been in wine heaven since we landed and I haven't looked back.

Ted and I were lucky enough on our first trip to the Hunter Valley to go to the Pokolbin Brothers Winery on a tasting tour.  http://www.pokolbinbrothers.com.au/ This place was like no other winery in that in was in a large tin shed that also house the bicycles that they rent out to tourists. http://www.grapemobile.com.au/ 

It was different because instead of the tasting sip other wineries poured for us, Glen, one of the owners, poured us a full large glass.  I think Ted fell in love with him right then and there.  We kicked back and had a nice chat about wine and Life. 

Finally what made this winery stand out was that their 2007 Chardonnay was the best wine I have ever had in my life. To this day, still nothing competes.  At the time it was sold for $20 a bottle; which is insanely high for Ted and me. I pride myself on finding fabulous, inexpensive wine.  This wine though...this wine we never argued about the cost.  We save up coins from laundry and wrestle two year-olds for change to pay for this beauty.

Over the years we've bought as much as we could, usually around tax return time and ration out each sip.  Sure I've open a bottle of wine for any reason but an event as to be "Pokolbin Brothers Worthy" before those bad boys get cracked.

Thanks to the Internet and the magic of Facebook Glen and I are now in contact. Because he is a kind and merciful man (why yes! That is blatant sucking up. Don't mind if I do!) he has sent me a few bottles of the nectar of the gods.

A few weeks ago out of the blue he sent me their latest creation. The 2007 Chardonnay is no more.  It is an ex-wine. And the world is sadder for it.  However now they have a sparkling moscato.  He offered it to Ted and me to try.

I can believe that I was just able to type those last few sentences.  I am friends with someone who makes wine for a living and he sent us a bottle to try that can only be bought from his cellar door.

My head is spinning.  This is MY life?  Not bad for the crazy yank who ten years ago got a book as a present that describes the different types of wine.  Life can be good my friends it can be good.

As for the wine. Yep. It's pretty fantastic.  Sweet at first but then the aftertaste disappears quickly so your mouth isn't too sweet for the next taste.  And the next one.  And maybe one more.

You know those lovely decorative cork stoppers you can get? The ones you put in to save leftover wine so it doesn't go bad?  Yeah.....I don't get those.  I don't know how people end up with leftover wine. Those things make as much sense as buying a pet rock. 

I must still be very relaxed and happy after last weeks trip away if I'm writing about happy and lovely things like wine.

I overheard Tessi practice her speech about her family this morning. She had a bit about her being a surprise member of our family and had a picture of 13 month old Connor getting ready to whack a three day old Tessi so I'm expecting a call from the school this afternoon.

No, that's not Pokolbin Brothers worthy.  Not around here.  But I have confidence in Tessi, Connor and Teddy.  Their fighting skills will have me chipping at the bottle we have very soon.

No comments: