Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mommy Has Been in Time Out

I have been quiet on the Internet the past few days. Quiet for normal people does't quite mean the same thing for me.  Quiet for me means checking email, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, the news, Reddit and only doing an occasional post.   Now I do understand that this is the sum of most normal people's daily Internet activity.  However for me, that's practically the equivilant of going radio silent. Besides, when have I ever been considered normal?

I have been in Katoomba, which is in the Blue Mountains, since the 19th and will be going home tomorrow the 23rd.  I am staying at bed and breakfast that does not cater to children and my room overlooks the Jamison Valley.  Here is a picture showing the view from my bed my the past few days.
 
                                

As you can obviously tell from amongst my many talents, photography is not one of them. Neither is using photo editing software.  No matter, I think the photo is good enough to illicit some grumbling and death threats from my fellow-stressed out friends.  What can I say?  Haters gonna hate.

This place is quiet, peaceful and COLD. My kind of heaven. 

It would be easy and frankly quite predicable of me to to share with you what I've done over the past few days.  It wouldn't take much to turn this into your average travel blog. Instead though, I thought I would be more like myself and share with you what I haven't done. I think by telling you that I will be able to paint a more accurate picture of the importance of this holiday to me.

Things I haven't done since Sunday.

1. Spell anything out loud

 I have no idea how teachers do it....other than inherent sainthood. I am constantly spelling things for Connor &Tessi and it has been driving me mad. I have been trying to be patient and not spell everything l.o.o.k.i.t.u.p.y.o.u.r.s.e.l.f. but it has been rough the past few weeks. 

2. Repeat Myself

More accurately I should say that I haven't had to ask if I need repeat myself.  Need to do so while glaring disdainfully over the top rim of my glasses.  Sure I've repeated myself. I'm the funny-talker in these parts after all. No one understands me at first. It's only after they hear me and then put on their polite "Oh! It's a Yank talking" hat does communication really occur.  

3. Hunt for Shoes 

I brought two pairs of shoes with me.  I've only worn one pair but I had my spare just in case. I have been aware, at all times, where these shoes are located. Seriously. In real life as Tessi would say. 

4. Turn on a stove. 

Those of you who have been forced to endure my cooking can fall on your knees with me and rejoice in the fact that I haven't cooked a bloody thing since last Friday night. I know I am! 

5. Remind someone to share the TV.

 I have my own in my room. I haven't turned it on once. My children will be horror struck when I tell them this pearl.  One TV for one person and I never turned it on. Blasphemy!

6. Mediate.  

I haven't settled a single argument in 4 days. Mediation services aeren't mentioned a whole lot in parenting books. Sure they talk about diaper rash and the importance of keeping kids from smoking but nobody ever mentions that a large chunk of  parenthood is settling fights. Just last week I found myself using a biblical solution and offered to slice the sought after hair bow into two pieces. And much like the bible the rotten brat who stole it in the first place was more than happy to watch it get severed. Since it was one I actually made I dissapointed both parties and refused either of them the right to wear it.

 Not once in the last 4 days have I had to threaten to cut a hair bow into two pieces. You just can't put a price on the happiness that has brought me.

7. Wash Dishes

This may seem amusing considering the usual state of overflowing dishes my sink is usually in.  Obviously washing dishes doesn't seem high on my priority list. Yet that sink taunts me. It taunts me every time I walk by and see the pile growing. It's a cathedral..a testimony to my failings as a house cleaner. That's ok, I can't see it from here. Pile away Baby, I dont't care.

It hasn't been all roses and sunshine here I have to admit. I have had to adjust and adapt to my surroundings.

I was actually chastised by the B&B owner my first morning here for leaving the table to pour myself a cup of tea.  "It's my job to pamper you Cecelia!" she said huffily, before setting done the tea pot squarely in front of me.  I was just thrilled at not having to make breakfast it didn't occur to me that tea would be delivered too. I demurely apologized and asked for a second cup.

Also I learned the hard way that not everyone appreciates my quirky sense of humor. There was an older, very polite couple sharing the breakfast table with me the first day. They live very far apart from each other and this is their meeting place. Very romantic. When asked why I was alone, I shared that this was my birthday/Mother'sDay/ Thank you for not killing us all in our sleep present.  The look of shock and horror on their faces suggested that they are not overly burdened with children...or a sense of humor.

I covered quickly by pretending that I was joking and wormed my way back into their good graces. Oh that silly Yank sense of humor!  Riiiiiight.

Tomorrow I head home. I won't lie, I could easily stay here another couple of days. What rational person says, "Oh I am so over someone else makig the bed and cooking breakfast! who needs silence and days of uninterputed reading!?"  whacko, looney liars, that's who.

However I'm happy to report that I do feel rested and (gulp, dare I say it?) I miss my minions of Chaos and Destruction.  Not the dishes or the spelling, mind you, but I do miss the minions.

And here you are, a trip to the Blue Muntains wouldn't be complete without yet another picture of the Three Sisters. Even a bad picture is still pretty fantastic.

                                  


No comments: