Monday, May 13, 2013

I Don't Mean to Brag...

...but wow.  I did it.  The week from Hell and I got through it.  Not only did I get through it but I didn't kill anyone and as far as I know I haven't been turned into the police.  I'm putting survival of last week up with giving birth 3 times and making it through my first 6 months here in Australia.

EPIC as my now 9 year-old daughter says.  Of course every time she says it I get, "You keep on using that word, I dinna think it means what you think a means" stuck in my mind.  But if you think about it, a day with The Princess Bride quotes stuck in your head really can't be called a bad one.  Inconceivable!!

The Mother's Day Stall was a glorious success.  One mom decided not to be held back by official lack of interest and took it upon herself to organize it all.  Initially I was afraid to openly help her because of my poor "moral code" and dismal popularity with the "good mothers" at our little school but I came out swinging and I have to say...we put together one Hell of a stall.

Our teachers and kids at Normanhurst Public School have restored my faith in humanity.  I hate sounding like a maudlin twit but I love this event so much because of the emotions I see in the kids and the teachers.  What a joy.  Watching a little one, especially a kid famous for being a little monster, put heart and soul into choosing a present is staggering to see.

This is coming from me....a woman who is very well known on two continents for her lack of mushy sentiment.  Keep in mind I watched "Titanic" spending 2 hours muttering, "Jesus, when is this stupid boat gonna sink?"  I think I'm lacking the gene sequence that requires a need to cry at weddings, spews that  "awwww" sound when little kids say rude things or channels my inner adorable into carrying a dog in a purse.  I don't get it all.

I actually told a friend of mine on Thursday that, "this is the one week of the year I actually like all kids"  I'm just not a sweet nurturing kind of gal.  I know that doesn't make me sound like your typical mom, but it's honest.  And if I'm even more honest...I bet there are a few more moms out there like me.

Now back to the important thing.  The stall.   I can't talk about it without praising the staff at Normanhurst Public School.  Our teachers have done wonders with their classes, installing superb manners and respect.  Thank you all so much.

It's a shame that some members of our pious parent and community organization can't get over themselves enough to realize what a beautiful thing it is to see a child gleefully picking out a present for his or her mother.  This little gift stall is so very much more than just a few presents on display for Mother's Day.

I suppose though, some people really need that expensive present to feel confident in their worth.  Either that or since it's not important to them it just isn't important at all.  I can just imagine how spectacular the Education Week events or Father's Day BBQ will be.  Of course, more people will be watching those events.

Appearances don't you know.

Myself, I got what I needed when I saw my gorgeous girls race by me and head straight to the expensive table (I have trained them well) and ran back to me with a quick smile and hug.

I got what I needed when one young boy was so terrified about picking out the wrong present he just shut down in tears.  He finally let me help him pick out a beautiful manicure set for his lucky mother.  I don't  know if she will ever know how hard it was for him to choose her gift.  I wonder if she realizes how desperate he was to find something good enough for her.  I think though she must be pretty remarkable if he was so eager to make her happy.

I got more than what I needed when one tiny Kindy looked up at me and said, "I can't hear you, what's your name?" and then she proudly told me hers when I answered.  I think now we are super best friends forever.

And the best part of all...one kid remembered me this morning at school when I walked by and he shouted, "YOU'RE THE MOTHER'S DAY STALL MUM!!!"

Yes, Love...I am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm misty enough for the both of us! This is lovely!!!!! Congrats on a job well done! :)

Judie said...

You did good.

Aly said...

Beautifully said, I am very grateful to you and those other SuperMums for putting this fantastic event together and so well. True, just because the parents generally don't get to see the excitement on their kids faces when presented with the opportunity to buy a present for their mother from a fantastic selection of gifts UNSUPERVISED by either parent is GOLD! Long may the Stall go on :-)