Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wine Recommendation

I owe my life to a Houghton Quill Pinot Noir Chardonnay sparkling wine this evening.  I thought I would recommend it to you all.  Here's why...

At about 3:15ish my son's friend, visiting from Wales took him to bowling.  The boys haven't seen each other in almost 2 years.  I pomised Jacob's parents that we would be home waiting, whenever they returned.  Julie thought they would be back in about 2 hours.  No problem, it's hot.  I didn't want to go anywhere.  I had spent 2 hours grocery shopping this morning with crazed Christmas shoppers, I was done.

At about 4:30 I notice that Tessi has a red line in the corner of her eye.  Normally this wouldn't phase me as Tessi is...well...Tessi.  However, I know this red line.  This red line has been the bane of my exsistence for a few weeks.  It's ring worm.  I know it because we've been battling it with Monty and several of us in the family for 2 weeks.  Honestly, I don't know how Monty has anything alive on him with all the pills, creams and twice weekly baths with basicially a turpentine substance but it's hearty stuff and now it's hit Tessi.

Now, I do know what to do.  I have the cream but I'm concerned because it's RIGHT in the crease of her eye and I'm not sure if I can give her the over the counter medicine I have.  So, I call the pharmacist (pharmacists are WAY cooler in Australia by the way, they are like a dr - light.  It's pretty aweseme, most of the imte) However today, the chemist says, no go...anything near the eye I should go to the dr.  Ok, I call my madly busy dr's office and first the gal at the phone tries to put me off but when she hears my tale of woe she says to bring Tessi in NOW and she' ll work me in.

Ok-ey.  I can't call Julie.  I don't have a number for her so I can't be sure Teddy has someplace to go.  I call my friend Penny and concoct a convelouted plan for me to take Connor to her and have her grab Teddy but as I'm leaving I see my neighbor Sue is home from work so she agrees to grab Teddy when Julie brings him home and I decide to just keep Connor with me as we race to the drs, of course on my way I go to the bowling alley in case I can see them.  Which of course I can't, so now Connor is in a real tizzy over the noise and confusion of the bowling alley.

Get to the dr's and wait 30 min only to hear that the dr is stumped too.  Lovely.  He can't find any anti-fungal med for the eye but it must be treated as it could contaminate the eyelid and really cause damage.  He instructs me to use the over-the-coutner medicine only I should be careful, if it gets in her eye I'll blind her.  Ok, so no pressure.  Not like Tessi is known for random, unexpected crying hissy fits that could wash the medicine into her eye.  No problem.  In the hands of a mere mortal this might be a problem but I am in fact, me...so No Worries.

At this point, Julie has returned Teddy to my house and found my note and called me in a panic. The lovely woman wants to stay and help even though she's an hour away from where she's spending the night.  God bless her.  She's a lovely soul.  I assure her that all's well and to send Teddy to the neighbor house - Sue's expecting him.  I race home with the girls and of course...Teddy is annoyed that I got home sooner than expected.

By this time it's 6:45 and I'm NOT cooking.  I order pizza.  Only there's a glich in the system and it won't let me order online so I have to call and for that I get charged an extra $4 a pizza, even though it's THEIR COMPUTERS PROGRAMMING ERROR.  STINKIN PROGRAMMERS!!!!  YOU'RE USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No matter, we got paid yesterday so I don't mind throwing money away.  Pizza arrives, only had to referr 3 fights while waiting.  Sat down to eat and Teddy decides THAT'S a good time to ask if Santa is real.  I blow it off until the girls go to bed and after my friend calls to ask about Tessi and I have to warn her to watch for ringworm signs in her kids as she watched mine today.  She LOVES me right now.

After the girls go to bed I brace myself for the talk with Teddy, cause Ted is still out at his corporate kegger so it's up to me to destroy Teddy's childhood and explain Santa to him.  He's fine,  Hell, he just wanted to make sure he still gets presents.  We comiserate the end of an era with a few reditions of "Eye of the Tiger" and "Living On a Prayer" on Guitar Hero.

It's then I that I found this lovely bottle of sparkling wine.  Most of the way through it and I can unclench my teeth again.  It has a lovely bouquet.  Not pretentious at all.  I highly recommend it.  In fact, I insist on it.

1 comment:

Judie said...

OK, you win. Your day sucked worse than mine. I thought mine was pretty bad! Tomorrow (or should I say today) is another day. There's always the calling Santa threat ...