Monday, December 7, 2009

I Wonder What a Good Mother Would Do?

Teddy and Connor are in the kitchen fighting while they make sandwiches and packing lunches.  This is fine.  At least the lunches are being made.  However, I just overheard Teddy yelling at Connor apparently about some sandwiches that fell and are now on the floor.  No one bothered to pick them up and it seems that Sasha has either eaten them or simply licked the jam off.

Now they are arguing about whether or not new sandwiches even need to be made...let alone who is going to do them.  As my stomach is sitting here churning with nausea at the thought of Connor eating a dog-licked jam sandwich a part of me wonders - well, should I let them settle it or should I step in?

See it's crap like this that gets mothers into trouble.  If I step in too much then I'm the dreaded "helicopter" parent.  If I stand back too much I'm neglecting them.  Also, if I step in too much fighting with Connor my head spins and I trip over myself  getting the pretty yellow pills and a cold compress for the heartbeat over my eye.

Sigh...so either way I'm sunk. 

Wait a minute!  Teddy has come in to ask about what else to put in the lunch and SHOCK he threw out the sandwiches!!!!  He even gave me an odd look when I asked!  As if it was obvious that one throws out sandwiches that the dog has licked!!!  You have no idea how impressive this is.  This comes from a boy that for entertainment follows the dog and cat around in hopes that one of them will sneeze on him.  One of his Christmas presents is a snot making kit.  Seriously...this is big. 

So apparently somewhere, somehow at some point in time I managed to convey to Teddy that there is a level of grossness too high.  Dare I say it...is this my June Cleaver moment??!!  Is this the moment I've been waiting for that allows me to think that perhaps, I'm not the Joan Crawford of mothers?  I think I'm dizzy now.

Ahhh, they're fighting again and I can head the dog sneezing on Teddy.  Life is back to normal.  Whew.  Don't think I could have handled all that positive thought.

No comments: