Friday, September 20, 2013

Internationally Recognized Blog Here

My family had been living in Australia about one year when my son rather spectacularly broke his arm. In case you have limited experience with broken bones, allow me to share with you my hard-earned knowledge.  You should be aware that no trip to the ER ends well with the X-ray tech asking you if your child usually has an elbow.  Another hospital and emergency surgery later we were left reeling with an injured child, two frazzled parents and two younger sisters confused and unable to understand what was happening.

I had a few friends but no family to help us. We had one car and two parents going in two different directions. Worst of all my son was in pain. That alone was enough to turn me into a raging lunatic. It was one of the lowest points of my life. I could see how we were going to get through it.

To keep overseas family and friends updated on Teddy's condition I started a blog. I came up with what I thought was a very witty and clever title. I felt it needed to quickly reveal what my life was or at least what I felt that my life was like.  We had moved around the planet to an incredible country that while it was extraordinary....it was difficult to fit in.  Most days I felt like Mona Lisa Vito trying to blend in while in Alabama.  I stuck out like a sore thumb with my accent tattooed on my tongue.

Every day revealed a new adventure; not always a good one. I was barely treading water down here. On a bad day the water was up to my eyes. On a good day... well, let's just say that at that particular point, even on a good day I was knee deep in it.

So that's how Knee Deep in Down Under was born.

It has quite simply worked for me.  I blogged about dealing with the Aussie health care system and it helped me handle my fear and anger. I was so frightened, so very frightened all the time but I couldn't admit it. "I feel like throwing up every time I drive on the left side of the road"  and "Stop asking me why President Bush does those whacko things, I didn't vote for him!" really aren't welcome in polite conversation.  However I could write about it. I could say the awful, horrible thoughts that crept into my head during the day in my writing and it helped...well not preserve my sanity, that ship has long since sailed, but at least give me a lifetime to hold onto.

I'm giving you this little historical perspective because today I got some great news.  Today I received an email from the Circle of Moms website congratulating me for placing 2nd place on their Top 25 Aussie Mom Blogs of 2013.

Me. The neurotic girl from Jersey who was always too afraid  to try new things and who has a simply masterful gift for pissing people off;  had won a place on a list of real bloggers.

I can not describe what this means to me. I'm sure I've used up a years worth of good luck in one day but I do not care.

I've read lately that some of the more distinguished Aussie bloggers deliberately stayed away from this contest because real writers don't need silly contests to confirm their worth.  Only the blogger can be the true judge of her words. That may all be very true. However I for one,  am one very proud and happy lady today. I have a validation of my work that only comes from outside approval and it feels great.
Since I was a little girl every March I would practice into my thumb, my Academy Award Winning speech. This is no Acadamy Award but let's be honest; it as close as I'm getting. Also, this is my bloody blog I'm going to give it and the orchestra can't do a thing about it.

Thank you friends and family for reading my rantings and ravings. You did so without being annoyed when you figured out that I had written about you. Thank you for reading and voting when I know you had better things to do. I owe you a solid and I won't forget that.

Thank you American University Phi Mu Fraternity for Women Sisters Alumni who read my blog, voted for and shamelessly encouraged their friends to vote. Ladies, I am proud and honored to have bought your friendship all those years ago. Love in Our Bond.

Thank you total strangers who have stumbled across my rantings and found something amusing about it.

Thank you Orchard Marketing employees who helped a new co-worker find her feet in an office after 13 years and didn't bat an eye when asked to vote. I am thrilled to be a part of the team.

Thank you Madison Central High School Class of 1988 who surprised me by their willingness to vote. More surprising is the number of people who have reached out and re-connected with me after all these years. I was quite shocked at the number of you who actually remember me as I wasn't the friendliest of people back then...or now.  You humble me with your abilities to mature and not dwell on the pain of high school and concentrate on grownup friendships.

Thank you Ted. There are no words strong enough to describe what you have meant to me. I love you.

Tomorrow I will back in groove of laundry, school holidays, cricket, Little A's and 7 thirteen year old boys here for a birthday party sleepover. Yep, that should be enough to knock me back into reality.

Today though, I'm an internationally (two countries means international! I can claim that!) recognized blogger. I'm going to enjoy that.

Thank you to everyone who has made that possible!

No comments: