Monday, August 5, 2013

Those About to Commute, We Salute You

I'm about to (gulp) go back to work at a paying job.  In an office.  With other GROWN UPS.   Part time, freelance stuff but its big news to me. Today I attempt to begin working as a website tester.  I will be working with people for whom Thinkgeek.com is their Target or Walmart. These people think the 2+2=5 tshirt isn't a mistake.

Me. House Frau Extraordinaire. Geek Mom Extreme. Professional Taxi Service Driver and Creator of Inedible Home Cooking.  

Clearly this is a collossal change for my family.  My husband is thrilled; I think the burden of being sole breadwinner has been too long on his shoulders. My son is actually almost smiling, dreaming of days during the week when he can return to an empty house and enjoy unfettered access to the pantry and Xbox. My girls giggle constantly at the thought of going to After School Care to play with their friends three days a week.  Connor has contrived a working plan on how best to spend my pay checks. She doesn't do much fraction work yet at school but already has divided my income into Skylanders, Warrior Cats books and lip gloss sections.  What about me? What are my thoughts on the whole matter?

ACK!!!  Jesus, Mary and Joseph....what am I thinking?!?!?  Change is bad, BAD!!  Haven't I learned that already?!  What is it my kids been screaming for years...WE DON'T LIKE CHANGE.


I'm absolutely terified in case my meaning was a bit vague.


This big change is my choice.  I didn't look for the job, it sort of fell in my lap. I saw a posting on Twitter and just casually asked about it and a few tweets later I had a job interview.  I went to the interview thinking I didn't have a chance...after all these people are real geeks. They walk the walk and talk the talk.  I really didn't want to come accross as a poseur so I  tried not act like I knew more geek then I did.  I left the interview thinking no joy. And just as in the movies, that nonchalance seemed to do the trick.  Apparently they didn't mind my 156 month absence from an office and now I am employed. Never again will I ever have such an easy transition into a job. 


I think that's what is making me so nervous.  I'm a fairly pessimistic person who has seen a good share of Life's unpleasantness up close.  That has taught me to not be shocked when bad things happen.  It's not a particularly positive way to go through life but I think it's practical.  I'm not just simply a glass half-empty type of gal, I usually find that the glass is half filled with poisoned swamp water.  It's when the stars do line up in my favor that I tend to be wary.  When the heavens shine from above on top of that I practically get heart palpitations.  I just don't expect good things to fall in my lap.


Many syrupy cheerful types are tsk-tsking right now and saying that I am bringing the negative into my life and that's why bad things happen.  That's one way of looking at it. Personally, I think they are full of it. I can not see how me preparing for the worst physically invites bad inks to happen. I like to think of myself as realistic. 


 It is within one week of being exactly thirteen years since my pregnant self waddled out of an office and collapsed head first into Motherhood. The last time I filled out a time sheet there was a computer at my desk but not a very good one. I think my iPad has more memory than my old Dell pc.  I had a cell phone in my purse but we had just signed up for it because Ted didn't like me driving around alone while pregnant and not having a way to call for help. It certainly wasn't the precious smart phone I cradle in my hand lovingly today.  There was actually a typewriter in the office then.  Now I will be working with people who have never even seen a typewriter.  Not to mention that my last office was in Austin, Texas USA. Tomorrow I work with Australians.  People who hate know-it-alls and swear freely in the office. Geek Aussies who wear jeans and funny tshirts to work. People who drink tea.


Hmmmmm, maybe it's going to be alright after all. Wish me luck!





No comments: