Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Handling Stress

This may come as a shock to everyone, but I don't handle stress well.  I know, it's surprising.  However really stressful things really send me over the edge. I'm not sure if it's because I don't handle change well, the lack of control, the annoyance of Life having the stones to not do what I want but anyway, when the going gets tough, I lose my ever loving mind.  I yell a lot, hyperventilate, my eye twitches, that sort of thing.  I haven't ever frothed at the mouth but never say never.

So today I'm trying a preventative plan for handling a stressful situation that is coming to a head today.  I'm going to play on the computer for a bit, try and find the damn DSXL of Teddy's that is hidden so I can sell it, walk through the kitchen ignoring the dirty dishes on the sink and counter, shut my eyes as I walk by the table with laundry (at least it's clean!!!) on it and head to the couch and read some inane, trashy, inherently stupid books until I have to go get the kids from school.  Then I will take kids to gymnastics, come home and do an eeny-meeny to figure out what champagne to open and figure out something for dinner that no one will want to eat.

Now, I am aware that this is NOT the best, most mature or grown up way to handle my problems.  I understand that.  However I have elected to embrace my lack of caring about the best way to handle things.  I am choosing to believe in my ability to avoid the problem as a way of dealing with it.  We can all go to Amazon and print a list of Self-Help books that all say this is the wrong thing to do but since none of those self-righteous bastards live my life they can stick it.

I may stop and get some frozen cookie dough on my way to the couch.  Don't judge me.  At least my plan doesn't involve alcohol until AFTER I get the kids home.  That has to count for something.

Wish us luck.

No comments: