Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Well, well, well

So the study that came out and said that Autism was links to MMR immunization shots was done under flawed conditions.  The paper that printed it, The Lancet, had to retract it.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/02/lancet.retraction.autism/index.html?hpt=T1

My, my, my.  So Autim isn't caused by the shots.  I'm going to refrain from my usual tirades and just say this, "NOW CAN WE ALL STOP FIGHTING WITH EACH OTHER AND FIND OUT WHAT DOES CAUSE IT?!

It would be nice if ONCE, just ONCE I could enjoy my daughters without having to scrutinize their every action and wonder how I need to teach them to do things the "right way"  I do this so they can survive childhood and not be traumatized by other children for being different.  I would LOVE to only have to explain something one time because even at 5 1/2  Connor needs constant repetition for even the simplest of concepts to sink in.

So please, now can we all just get along?  Let's fight the problem; not each other.

1 comment:

Liz Ditz said...

Here is what I object to about Wakefield (and Thoughtful House, Age of Autism, Generation Rescue, and even Autism Speaks). Their focus on "a cure for autism" sucks up the time and money that should be going to

* Increasing support for families who have one or more members with autism
* Increasing educational opportunities for people with autism -- safe, welcoming, and effective educational opportunities
* Increasing opportunities for dignified, meaningful employment for people with autism
* Increasing safe and dignified living arrangements for those with autism who cannot manage independent living.


I sometimes write a post that collates blog responses, both positive and negative, to a given issue.

I'm keeping one now on responses to the Lancet retraction of the Wakefield's paper.

I've added your post to the list.

The post is at

http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of_dreams/2010/02/on-the-lancets-retraction-of-wakefields-1998-paper-alleging-a-connection-between-the-mmr-vaccine-and.html